We live in Singapore, a multi-cultural society. In one way or another, we interact with people belonging to different cultures and races. When communicating between one another, we have to make sure that we preserve mutual respect and minimise antagonism. Sometimes, communication can get quite sensitive hence, we need to watch what we say to avoid stepping on other people's toes and cause an unwanted conflict.

Coming from a chinese orientated primary school, I hardly interacted with people of other cultures and races for the most part of my childhood. I was young and ignorant of other races. Some adults even portray people of other races abducting their children to threaten them to behave. I was guilty of falling for those tricks.


Things changed when I entered secondary school. I was exposed to students of different races and cultures. At first, I was a little wary of them, hearing rumours from friends and adults. I did not take the initiative to befriend them compared to students of similar race. However, being classmates, we somehow interacted with one another over time.

After being introduced to a few of them, my perception of them changed. I started hanging out with them and we became really good friends. Whenever we had troubles, our group of friends never fails to help in whatever way they can. I regretted not taking the initiative to make friends with them. We still keep in contact after all these years.

Without intercultural communication, there will be social segregation. In the long run, it will harm our society. Take for example the racial riots in the past. Intercultural communication should not be taken for granted and it is essential for all of us to learn and practise.

Source: http://tweenscene.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/multicultural.gif